Author Topic: IP Addressing  (Read 3341 times)

normanfekrat

IP Addressing
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:25:25 PM »
Two quick related questions for the group:

1) Wireless Router vs. Ethernet Switch:
I am hoping someone already figured this out.... I can't seem to access my TED5000 when I plug it directly into my ethernet switch (it is an open switch that does not restrict any protocols).  My TED5000 only works when i plug it directly into the wireless router.  Does anyone know how to configure the TED5000 to work when plugged directly into my Ethernet Switch?

2) Static IP Address:
Also, I let the router configure DHCP to get the IP address (10.1.0.35) and then I unselected.  I assume that will make the TED5000 IP address static so all my apps (apple ted5000 apps) don't have to be configured everytime the house loses power and IP address DHCP'd again.  Does everyone agree with that approach?

Thank you.

tstolze

Re: IP Addressing
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:12:55 PM »
Most routers have an option to assign an ip to a certain device. If you removed the DHCP on the Ted, then the router may assign that ip to another device in the future. My Linksys calls this DHCP Reservation.

Likely if you left the Ted plugged into the switch it would become accessible after a period of time.

RussellH

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 10:57:32 PM »
1) Wireless Router vs. Ethernet Switch:
I am hoping someone already figured this out.... I can't seem to access my TED5000 when I plug it directly into my ethernet switch (it is an open switch that does not restrict any protocols).  My TED5000 only works when i plug it directly into the wireless router.  Does anyone know how to configure the TED5000 to work when plugged directly into my Ethernet Switch?

Not sure why that is.  Perhaps the auto-negotiation for connection speed/duplex isn't working for some reason.  Perhaps if you manually program that port on the switch for something the GW can support, then it will work.

2) Static IP Address:
Also, I let the router configure DHCP to get the IP address (10.1.0.35) and then I unselected.  I assume that will make the TED5000 IP address static so all my apps (apple ted5000 apps) don't have to be configured everytime the house loses power and IP address DHCP'd again.  Does everyone agree with that approach?

If you make it static, then you should put in a IP address that's inside the subnet but outside the DHCP range.  Since you mentioned 10.1.0.35, I'd suggest 10.1.0.250.  (I'm assuming that your subnect is 255.255.255.0 and that you don't have enough devices to ever get up to 250.)

Another route is that some DHCPs will allow you to assign a IP to a device based on it's MAC address.  That way the device is "DHCP" but it will always be at the same IP because the DHCP always gives it the same IP.

Also, I've found that if I have the GW set to DHCP, my computer can always find the GW by using "ted5000" for the name.

normanfekrat

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
Thank you.  Here is my working resolution:

1) I kept TED5000 on DCHP setting. Easier to keep the device DHCP so you don't have IP addressing in each application but manage it all from the router.

2) On my wireless router, I configured the TED5000 MAC address to a permanent IP address (10.0.1.200) at the highest DHCP range.

Seems to be working fine.  I still can not see the TED5000 on WiFi unless plugged into the router itself.  Can't get it working if plugged into the ethernet switch.

RussellH

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 09:45:10 PM »
Perhaps the auto-negotiation for connection speed/duplex isn't working for some reason.  Perhaps if you manually program that port on the switch for something the GW can support, then it will work.

Also, by any chance does the router have a auto crossover feature?  Perhaps you have the wrong type of cable and the switch doesn't have auto crossover to compensate.