Author Topic: With MTU Connection Type (120V, BK, WH), can I connect BK to a 60Amp circuit?  (Read 2925 times)

bfsmith

My gateway is not getting a signal from the MTU connected to my house's main breaker box.  I suspect that it's a distance issue since everything works fine if I connect the MTU to a closer subpanel (however, I want to monitor my entire house's consumption, not just the subpanel's scope of lights and outlets).  In following the troubleshooting guide, I'm wanting to try the MTU connection type with the black wire connected directly to the circuit of the gateway.  Unfortunately, that circuit goes to the subpanel and is labeled 60Amps.  Since the installation manual says to only connect the power lines for the MTU to circuits labeled 15, 20, or 30 Amps, I'm seeking input on whether it's OK to connect it to the 60Amp circuit.

pasayten

I am not with TED,  but I would not connect the mtu wiring to a 60 amp breaker.    You would be asking for problems if the mtu ever shorted out...   If you could determine what phase of the 60 amp breaker the gateway was plugged in to,  you could wire the mtu to a 15-30 amp breaker in your main panel that was on the same phase.  Hopefully,  the single black signal would be strong enough to be read feeding back thru the 60 amp breaker to the sub panel area.   

I had a TED 1000 that worked feeding back to a sub panel nearly 300 feet this way.  I just recieved the TED 5000 and will try it in the same configuration.

If that does not work,  you could try plugging the gateway into a receptacle fed by 15-20 amp breaker in the main panel.  or add a circuit and receptacle to the main panel.   And would it be possible to then run a cat5 internet cable from the main panel area back to where your computers/router are?

pasayten - Winthrop, WA
Household with Ted 5000 and Brayden Load Control Device
http://www.mymethow.info