Author Topic: Battery Life for TED5000 Wireless Display  (Read 5897 times)

JK43232

Battery Life for TED5000 Wireless Display
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »
Hello all,

Relatively new to the TED5000.  Have it all installed and seems to be working fine.

I am curious as to how long the Wireless Display should run on battery when removed from the dock.  When removed from the dock mine show 3 bars for about 5 minutes, then 2 bars for about 5 minutes, and then 1 bar and dies completely after 20 minutes or so.  Is this normal??

Thanks

John

pensacola10k

Re: Battery Life for TED5000 Wireless Display
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 02:38:20 AM »
John, Welcome....believe it or not you got a good one. Mine, well I'm lucky to get it to work 2 minutes......the display battery is kinda a joke. Better off using a ted app or WiFi browser  on your smart phone or tab.

jlsoaz

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 12:01:02 AM »
John, Welcome....believe it or not you got a good one. Mine, well I'm lucky to get it to work 2 minutes......the display battery is kinda a joke. Better off using a ted app or WiFi browser  on your smart phone or tab.

Does anyone know if TED will ever fix this seemingly needless problem?  Why on Earth should the wireless display only work for a few minutes or seconds when not plugged in.  Isn't there an engineer at the company who can simply redesign this seemingly needless issue out of the next generation?  Maybe they just want us to use a smart phone?  At this point, that is not a bad point, but if they're going to sell us wireless displays, why not make them work reasonably well when on battery?

RussellH

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:47:20 PM »
I don't have a display, so I can't say.  But some may have a defective rechargeable battery.  I'd imagine that if they sat on the shelf too long, they might be too old or damaged from getting too rundown to have a normal working life.

tlveik

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 03:06:41 AM »
I don't think it's a shelf life problem.  The battery is just too small for the job.  Mine never lasted more than a couple minutes either.

jlsoaz

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 07:20:57 PM »
I don't have a display, so I can't say.  But some may have a defective rechargeable battery.  I'd imagine that if they sat on the shelf too long, they might be too old or damaged from getting too rundown to have a normal working life.

Hi RussellH:

As tlveik indicates.... no, we don't think it's a shelf life problem.  Has anyone here ever heard of someone using the wireless display for longer lengths of time without issues?

I look at the display quite a few times per day to kind of take the pulse of what is going on at my house, and have owned at least two of them over a number of years.  I haven't bothered for years to take the display off the stand for more than a few seconds.  I just did it to test and sure enough, the battery runs down after 30-60 seconds.

RussellH

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:01:37 PM »
I'd be curious about what the life was like when new.  Leaving things on a charging stand is a good way to shorten the life of a battery.

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:11:19 PM »
a new display will last about 20 minutes. They arn't really designed for extended continual use when they are off the charger. Please take a look at http://www.theenergydetective.com/downloads/issue5.pdf for more insight about the display.

jlsoaz

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 08:47:11 AM »
a new display will last about 20 minutes. They arn't really designed for extended continual use when they are off the charger. Please take a look at http://www.theenergydetective.com/downloads/issue5.pdf for more insight about the display.

I'd love to experience a display lasting 5 minutes. I just tried it again for the heck of it.  I didn't try to bring up the backlight and it lasted longer than I thought, maybe 2 minutes.  I should have timed it properly I guess.  I bought this one two or three years ago.  Maybe there's a way they could consider creating a display with a replaceable standard format battery of some sort?

bperrybap

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 09:40:56 PM »

Why not use a LIR2450 and get 3x the battery life?
It is slightly larger but there appears to be enough room inside the case to accommodate it.

--- bill