Author Topic: Wireless Display Flicker  (Read 5050 times)

lundwall_paul

Wireless Display Flicker
« on: January 05, 2017, 07:54:47 PM »
My wireless display has changes in back-light intensity. It is random no pattern to it. The intensity flashes somewhere between 50% and 100% every few seconds. Any ideas? Also I cannot get the display to scroll. It appears that display settings under system settings does nothing. I raise and lower the display brightness check and un-check scroll has no effect. Display readings are correct so i know the comms are working.  Everything else works great. Not i new problem I have just been putting up with it. I tried a second display that didnt seem any different
ECC Version
Footprints Version

mlnovak

Re: Wireless Display Flicker
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:16:24 AM »
Good luck with getting an answer from these guys...Worst support ever.  TED Pro is going in the trash along with other useless items.

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 10:40:13 AM »
This forum is set up as a user forum to get help from the TED community of users. TED support moderates the forum but if you are looking for direct support or troubleshooting then the best place to do that is through the support ticket system located on our website at http://www.theenergydetective.com/ticket.

The wireless display backlight does flash by design when it is low on charge so sometimes this is normal operation but there have been some issues with the flashing continuing after it has reached a suitable charge level. This has been attributed to dust on the contacts of the dc jack that plugs into the wireless display and usually can be taken care of by using isopropyl alcohol or in some reported cases contact lens cleaner to wipe off the dc contact. Sometimes the dust gets from the external contact onto the internal contact so it becomes a little harder to clean off but using a small qtip may be able to get inside the dc jack hole and clean the contacts there.

Good luck with getting an answer from these guys...Worst support ever.  TED Pro is going in the trash along with other useless items.

I apologize for any issues you may have experienced but since this is your first and only post on the TED Forums under this name and no issues mentioned under our support ticket system using your email address then I don't believe you have given us a chance to solve any of your issues since you haven't stated what they are but we would be glad to help in any way that we can, however if the issues are as severe as you imply then it would be best for you to submit a support ticket via the above mentioned link so we can assist you ASAP.

If you run into any questions or anything please let us know by going to http://www.theenergydetective.com/ticket and fill in the requested information to submit a support ticket so we can work to resolve any issues that may arise ASAP and make sure we provide the right firmware for any updates requested or required.

Have a wonderful day!

TED Support
www.theenergydetective.com

lundwall_paul

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 01:04:54 PM »
I measured the DC voltage out of the adapter while the display was flickering. The DC supply appears to be folding over when  the backlight comes on. It reads 6.8 volts when it is lit and 8.00 when it is not lit. I see that it is rated for 0.15 amps. Is there a slightly higher current AC adapter available? Or can I order a new adapter?

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 09:53:51 AM »
You can buy the AC adapter individually so I will include a link to it below and they are all rated the same for the wireless display but for the amount of voltage the display actually pulls (3.3 volts) it is highly unlikely that is the problem if your getting a reading of around 7.5 volts (could be slightly higher with no load attached) when measuring the voltage from the dc jack on the ac adapter. Anything is possible but I believe this is more likely an issue with a proper contact connection either from dust or a failing internal component on the display which would be hard to determine without physically inspecting the display itself but we have found it's not cost effective for the customer to repair the display so replacement is typically the recommended solution.

http://www.theenergydetective.com/ted5000storea/display-power-plug.html (The wireless display AC adapter is the same with the TED5000 and TED Pro series.)

TED Support
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:20:21 AM by Support7 »

lundwall_paul

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 11:45:44 AM »
I replaced the factory AC-DC adapter with an adapter that had a higher current rating. The original adapter the DC voltage was folding over and recovering. This was the cause of the flashing display. I have had this issue since the first mint that I set up the system. I have a second wireless display with the same problem. I believe that if you take this seriously and talk to your engineers that you will find that 150ma isn't really enough to drive the display. I would recommend that someone measures the current with the display brightness set to 100%. Signed Electrical Engineer Paul Lundwall. Display is now working perfect with the higher rated adapter.

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 01:29:23 PM »
This doesn't occur consistently across the displays we've tested so it could be a failing regulator or another component but thanks for the information, I will pass it along.

TED Support

mlnovak

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 02:22:33 PM »
lundwall_paul:  Could you provide a link or description of the power supply that fixed your problem please?

Thanks

mlnovak

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 02:47:14 PM »
Hello all,

Well, i have confirmed that the issue with the wireless display was in fact the wall adapter voltage variance.  The wall adapter was putting out between 10.956 and 11.117 volts DC instead of the 7.5 volts required by  wireless display causing it to fluctuate wildly.

See attached screen shot of my DMM.

Moral of the story is before blaming the hardware always check supply voltages...

Good catch lundwall_paul

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 09:53:29 AM »
Where are you taking the measurement from? If you are measuring from the jack without it being plugged into the display then the readings you mentioned are normal. When there is a load applied (as in with the display plugged in) then the voltage drops down to closer to what it's rated at. Unloaded voltage will be higher.

TED Support

lundwall_paul

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 08:11:59 PM »
What I saw was when the display was dim the supply read 8.2 volts when it was at full brightness it was just under 7 volts. The display went dim then the supply recovered and lit the display. thus causing the flashing on and off. In other words the supply was folding over under full load and recovering. I wish I had an oscilloscope with a current probe to capture the current. I strongly believe that either the display draws more then 150ma or that i have two bad factory AC adapters. I purchased a 2000ma (2 amp) adapter from Radio Shack and have had no problems since. Two amps is over kill but thats all they had. Often confuse adapter current ratings with power. The load (the display) determines the needed current.