Author Topic: Exported Reports  (Read 4992 times)

brian_10101

Exported Reports
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:31:50 AM »
Good Day...

I need to crunch some numbers to hand off to the Power Co. so I need to get my head wrapped around the reports available for exporting. From what I can see both the daily and hourly reports show how many kWh (power) has been used during the specific time frames (i.e. what was used during the day as a whole or what was used during a specific hour). The one I'm not quite following is the minutes report. For instance, if I open an hourly report and add up all 12 entries (the rows from 00:00 to 23:00) for 3/8/11, they equal the same data that is displayed in the single row from the daily report for 3/8/11.

However, when looking at the minute report it doesn't seem to be a cumulative report like the others. Each row doesn't show the kWh that was used during that minute which is then added together to obtain the hourly data. It just seems to show the kWh that is being used at the time the data was pulled. It then apparently uses that data from each of those 60 entries (one per minute) and does an average to come up with that hour's entry in the hourly report.

The issue I'm having is that there apparently seems to be a spike being generated every hour, on the hour, which lasts for roughly 20 minutes and raises the kWh usage during that time. That's why I need to calculate what is being used each minute so as to calculate the costing difference.

If someone could explain to me the correct or designed usage, or the purpose, of both the minute and second reports, I would greatly appreciate it.
If need be I can generate a table showing the data I'm referring to as a visual aid with what I'm trying to explain.

Thanks much,
Brian

solarInVT

Re: Exported Reports
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »
I just looked at some minute data from my TED from yesterday that i had in an xls...    added it up.. got 472.   This would be in kilowatt minutes.. I divided by 60 to get kwh and it matches the daily # the ted shows.. as well as my google powermeter feed.   So I contend it is the same but its in kwMin.. vs kwH.  The hourly data is in kwh so you can just add them up..   If you do it in seconds... and divide by 3600, you will get kwh too..  I am using the its electric 3rd party app  to harvest all the data from ted safely.. and find it quite cool.. and lets you export data forever.. down to 1 second intervals.. Of course i'm running it on a machine that has the space to store that much data..and probably will be sorry eventually.

brian_10101

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 03:42:25 AM »
Thanks much.....

I guess I was trying to get too in depth with the calculations it didn't even cross my mind that the minutes table would be in kWm - duh.
Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees

Brian

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 05:20:59 AM »
Strictly speaking, the units of all of the 'raw' numbers you get from TED are W or kW (power) rather than Wh or kWh (energy). The second, minute, and hour numbers represent the average power flux for the period in question. It is true that that the average power flux through a point for a period of an hour in kW is numerically equal to the energy passing through it during the same period in kWh, but, for shorter periods, you are less likely to get into trouble if you think of TED's numbers as representing average power flux.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

SherlockOhms

• Sherlock
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »
Just FYI the minute data is not average but a true cumulative for the minute.

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 09:12:35 AM »
Just FYI the minute data is not average but a true cumulative for the minute.

I understand what you are saying and the point you are making, but the correctly computed average of a quantized continuous variable over time is identical to a "true cumulative" of the quanta, divided by the time. In practice, then, this is a distinction without a difference.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits