Author Topic: TED5000 Setup  (Read 3366 times)

thanh

TED5000 Setup
« on: March 10, 2011, 06:26:09 PM »
I got my TED 5000-G installed and I think I have a PLC problem. After reading all the posts in this forum, I wonder if I am SOL or not. 95% of my house is equipped with CFL. In addition, my router is in one side of the office/basement while the circuit panel is on the other side of the basement... The gateway is unhappy throughout the finished portion of the basement (office, spare bedroom, and entertainment room). The only place that it's happy is next to the circuit panel. I guess at this point, that means stringing a long Ethernet cable across the basement.

I wonder if TED has thought about making this product more user friendly, i.e for the masses? Most people would prefer to get an electrician to install the device. That's $100 on top of paying $200 for the device plus getting it scheduled (several phone calls and emails back and forth). Once it's installed, the debug begins... It'd become overwhelmed for a non-tech person very quickly.

I can't wait to see my energy usage once I got everything debugged.

brian_10101

Re: TED5000 Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:10:53 AM »
Just wondering if you may possibly benefit from installing one of their line filters...?? When I bought my TED5000 I also spent the extra $12 for the in-line wired filter as a "just in case". I figured I'd have it if the system didn't work out of the box as a stand-alone installation. I too wanted to have the gateway plugged into an outlet that was located close to the router since the panel I'm monitoring is on the other farthest side of the house away from my office. Fortunately it all worked out.

I have another panel I will be monitoring in the future. If I want to be able to monitor the gateway from the comfort of my office, I'll need to setup a wireless bridge attached to the TED gateway so I can use the office computer / router. Not to mention I'll be able to monitor that gateway remotely.

Brian

TEDSupport6

Re: TED5000 Setup
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 09:49:23 AM »
A wired-in line filter would be an excellent solution if you do indeed have a noise problem. Check out this post for details about troubleshooting line noise: http://forums.theenergydetective.com/index.php/topic,15.0.html and this one for info about filters: http://forums.theenergydetective.com/index.php/topic,45.0.html