Author Topic: Accuracy Demo Video  (Read 4165 times)

222fbj

Accuracy Demo Video
« on: July 28, 2011, 12:33:39 AM »
Before I buy I'd like to know how accurate the Ted5000 is.  I see "Sensitive to ONE Watt" but am skeptical.  I have seen a few videos did not find one demonstrating the ability to show small changes in power usage. 

I'd like to see something like a 5000 in a typical house with usage displayed...then switch on/off a 23watt CFL lamp and see what the display shows.  Is a video like that available?

thanks

TEDSupport6

Re: Accuracy Demo Video
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »
I don't think we have a video like that on our website, however there's no question of the accuracy of the system. Once the unit is installed and operating properly, you'll absolutely see even very small changes. Any of the TED users here on the forum can testify to that. Even on my own system I've seen an increase in the readings as small as 7 watts.

222fbj

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:02:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I hope someone will create such a video.

JBurgess

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:55:09 PM »
Here's 3 screenshots, nothing on, 13 watt CFL and a 40 watt normal lightbulb on the MTU labeled Barn. Shows 0, 14 and 38 watts

222fbj

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 08:03:30 AM »
Thank You!

GAR

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »
110805-1325 EDT

Accuracy and resolution are two very different things. Insufficient resolution could impact the accuracy of an inherently very accurate basic system. On the other hand, high resolution does not imply high accuracy. Also linearity is another factor that affects accuracy.

The TED system does seem to resolve 1 W under any conditions I have tested. Response time is another consideration. The 1000 series seems to be in the 1 second range. However, the 5000 series which does output data every second seems to have a response time of 2 seconds or maybe a little more.

Another factor in accuracy is how well the power measuring device handles distorted or phase shifted waveforms. One test on phase shift capability is to load the TED system with a single load of a high quality capacitor. Should read 0 watts for possibly a 50 mfd Mylar capacitor.

Another useful test is to put both current sensors on the same wire orientated in the same direction. This causes one sensor to subtract from the other. Should read zero with the current you desire to measure. To do a 200 A test with a 10 A load loop a piece of #12 enameled wire through both sensors to make a 20 turn coil. I have not done a high current difference test, but at 12 A I have read 0 W.