Author Topic: 5000C with Solar Panels...will it do what I want?  (Read 4125 times)

ReedV

5000C with Solar Panels...will it do what I want?
« on: July 27, 2011, 05:23:56 AM »
Hi folks--newbie here but I'm an electrical engineer by profession, and recently became an owner of 18 solar panels and a TED5000C.  I haven't been able to make this work yet, but here's what I'm hoping to get from the TED:
-  how much power are the solar panels producing?
-  how much power am I taking from the grid/sending to the grid? (and an indication if I'm taking or giving)
-  how much power is the household using?

Can I do this with the TED5000?  I'm pretty sure I have the MTUs and the CTs connected correctly: I have MTU1 on the input to the power panel, and MTU2 on the connections from the solar panels into the main panel (configuration 'a').  Red dots all face away from the panel.  The part that I don't yet understand, is that no matter if I'm using more than I'm making, or making more than I'm using, MTU1 always seems to give a positive number.  Shouldn't it be positive when I'm taking from the grid, negative when I'm sending power to the grid?  Thanks for your help!

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: 5000C with Solar Panels...will it do what I want?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »
This sounds like a system setup issue. On the System Layout tab in the System Setup Wizard (Edit|System Settings Wizard in Footprints) MTU1 should be set to 'Adj. Load' and MTU2 should be set to 'Generation'. The MTU2 readings should always be negative (even at night, when your inverters will draw a small resting current which will be shown as (spurious) generation - this is discussed elsewhere on this BBS). The MTU 1 readings should range between positive and negative according to whether you are a net user or a net generator of power at any given time.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:30:53 PM by pfletch101 »
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

TEDSupport6

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 10:27:53 PM »
The MTU 1 readings should range between positive and negative according to whether you are a net user or a net generator of power at any given time.

Actually, the 'NET' button in Footprints (under present readings in upper left quadrant) will show you whether or not you're pushing power back to the grid. The '1' or 'MTU1' button will always show you a positive number. This button in Footprints essentially represents your usage only; what you are generating has been subtracted from this total. The 'NET' button is where you would see the information combined.

solar_dave

• MAC MAC
    • PHX-Solar-TED
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 02:55:28 AM »
Yeah you can do this look at my link, 3 loads and one generation.
My TED 5000 system
Sticking it to the power company one watt at a time!
60 Ningbo Electric 175 watt panels and 12 Canadian Solar 180 watt panels with 2 PVP 5200 Inverters

GAR

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 07:48:56 AM »
110802-2343 EDT

In my tests of the 1000 and 5000 I have concluded that neither device reads negative power.

The experiment is to reverse both current sensors. This should cause a negative reading.

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
The MTU 1 readings should range between positive and negative according to whether you are a net user or a net generator of power at any given time.

Actually, the 'NET' button in Footprints (under present readings in upper left quadrant) will show you whether or not you're pushing power back to the grid. The '1' or 'MTU1' button will always show you a positive number. This button in Footprints essentially represents your usage only; what you are generating has been subtracted from this total. The 'NET' button is where you would see the information combined.

Well, yes. The reported MTU numbering is inconsistent and somewhat confusing, since it depends on whether you are looking at the remote display (for which my description was correct), downloaded data, for which my description was sort of correct (the MTU count is zero based here, so the MTU 0 data shows the net numbers and the MTU 1 data shows the production numbers), or Footprints, for which your description is correct.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits