Author Topic: Need bi-directional energy cost values  (Read 3240 times)

wmk6341

Need bi-directional energy cost values
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:13:51 AM »
I have a TED-5002 installed to monitor energy consumed by my residence and generated by newly installed solar panels.
The utility meter is bi-directional and all went well until I realized the utility company is charging me one rate when the meter
was rotating in the forward direction and crediting me at a different (lower) rate when the meter was turning backwards.

Is there a way to setup TED to accurately reflect my utility cost?  And if not, can the feature be added?

TEDSupport6

Re: Need bi-directional energy cost values
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 12:45:35 AM »
There's not currently a way to support the 2 different rates, however our developers will consider your request for future firmware updates.

jimbo100

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 09:35:59 AM »
I too would like to see this feature!  GA Power pays less back than what they charge for a bidirectional setup.

rswestrich

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:54:06 AM »
If you have a rotating type meter, I don't see how they can tell how much you are sending out vs how much you take in, as there will only be one reading at the meter, which is your net usage for the billing cycle. My rotating meter was replaced with a digital meter, that has two values, one for power in and one for power out. I can see how in this setup they could charge more for one than the other, since they have both values.

In NJ, what I send out goes into a KW bank, so I build it up during the summer, and draw down from in during the winter. I just used up my banked energy this week... For my setup, it would be nice if the software supported this banking type scenario...

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 06:20:14 PM »
If you have a rotating type meter, I don't see how they can tell how much you are sending out vs how much you take in, as there will only be one reading at the meter, which is your net usage for the billing cycle.

Even with an old-fashioned analog meter, the meter may well show net production over one or more complete billing periods in the summer - that is what you would be paid for (by the utilities that do it this way) at the lower rate. Indeed, if you have built up a credit over the summer, that would have shown up as one or more billing periods with negative usage, even with an analog meter.

Even a 2-channel meter cannot tell the difference between the customer with a total domestic consumption of 2.5 kW over a period, whose solar panels are generating 1.5 kW over that period and someone who consumes 1 kW in the same period but whose panels are not producing. Both scenarios produce the same inward flow of 1 kW through the meter.

2-Channel meters do have to be used for time of use tariffs, to record how much power is used or produced during the periods that matter for the tariff.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits