Author Topic: 'load profile wizard'  (Read 2285 times)

HamJam

'load profile wizard'
« on: November 11, 2011, 04:57:21 AM »
I am interested to hear if anybody could shed any light on the load profile.  I am keen to try and learn as much about my individual appliances as possible without spending even more money on extra circuit transformers.

I have set up my living room fans, and water pump under 'load profile wizard' so I can see how much energy they consume.

Question 1) The living room fans according to the graph seem to consume electricity even when they are not on. Could this be that the software is getting confused with other houshold items such as when the fridge turns itself on?

Question 2)  I am not sure what the green on/off button referes to under the device status.  If you turn this button off does this mean that you are no longer monitoring the energy or is it supposed to be showing that the device is currently off and not consuming energy?

I would also like to hear if anybody else has had a good experience in using this particular facility and if they think it is worth while?

DougHo

Re: 'load profile wizard'
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:04:51 AM »
For your question 2, it is only supposed to be green when the device is on, but I think when you click and it goes off, you are "telling" TED that it mis-detected the device.  TED keeps looking for next time on.

So if you are seeing green at unexpected time, it means that you will have to change your load profile (or stop trying).

I have only been successful with load profile for one device in my house: my electric water heater; though I can probably also find success with the rare use of my furnace electric heat strips.  I set the water heater to 4.7kw +/- 5%.  Anything else I try to monitor isn't distinct enough from other devices.  For example I'd like to monitor my heat pump, which starts up both compressor and fan but then turns off compressor one minute before fan turns off, and compressor varies depending on outside temperature.  Having wide percentages causes it to look too much like oven and/or clothes dryer.  Microwave and toaster oven may look similar.  Clothes dryer varies during cycle, so can't do that.

So maybe think about something large/predictable like water heater, and try that profile for awhile.  And if you have the capability, consider exporting second data to spreadsheet around the time you turn on/off a device you'd like to profile.  Look for the few seconds each side of the on/off event, hope that it is predicable, and choose a percentage tolerance.  Don't forget to think about other devices in your house which may use the same amount.  If you have more than one device within the tolerance, you either can't do it, or maybe you have to track it as "device A OR device B" but that isn't perfect because it can't handle when both devices end up on.