Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
TED 1.0 Pro Support / Re: Want to buy MTU6000
« Last post by Guest on July 23, 2022, 07:44:53 AM »
I have decided to retire TED6000 and have multiple parts available free to anyone who is willing to pay cost of shipping.

Available: MTU (last known working)
MTU (last known failed)
2 200a CTs
<strike>Spyder and 8 60a CTs</strike>  (shipped out)
Spyder and 8 60a CTs (available)
2 ECC (working)

Email to birdfeedr at verizon dot net
TED 1.0 Pro Support / Alternative to TEDanything
« Last post by Guest on July 23, 2022, 07:35:04 AM »
While The Energy Detective has been unable to deliver TED 2.0 and unfortunately discontinued previous products and has no inventory or support for replacement parts, there is an alternative that actually works better. Check it out at IotaWatt.com or view the *open source* documentation at https://docs.iotawatt.com/en/master/

Graphing is much more flexible, and while you don't have a dashboard like Footprints out of the box, the hardware outperforms the TED6000 Spyder system in which short term usage is missed giving incorrect accumulation of monitored circuits. IotaWatt samples and accumulates all circuits with equal priority.

I have been a TED advocate since TED 1000 because monitoring energy use is the first step to responsible management. However, interminable delays have led me to seek an alternative, and I found one at IotaWatt.

One disadvantage (or perhaps advantage over noisy PLC) is the requirement for CTs to be wired to the controller which also connects to 2.4GHz wifi. If code requires all low voltage wiring to be enclosed, then some have found success by mounting the system in an external ABS plastic box which is transparent to wifi.

I have been running TED6000 with 6 Spyder circuits simultaneously with IotaWatt monitoring the same. Total consumption of both systems are within 1% tolerance. I could tweak it easily, but out of the box is accurate enough for me. Where IotaWatt shines is accurate monitoring of individual circuits. Spyder fails in this regard. Totals accumulated are nowhere near accurate. For frequent short duration usage, it barely registers with TED.

Check it out. It's an alternative.
TED5000 Support / Re: Extending the life of a TED5000
« Last post by Guest on June 25, 2022, 11:32:45 PM »
For those looking to monitor or extend some of the functionality of TED5000, consider using Node-Red and Home Assistant.  Both can scrape the data from the API xml.  I have implemented these and can calculate costs again and have even extended it to simulate a renewable house (Wind, Solar, Battery and EV's) implementation using real house data power consumption data.

I am looking to try and detect appliances based on power fluctuations, so if anybody has any advise or ideas, I would appreciate it.

This is a great idea, although we need a way to contact you.

I am ThermoMan ( thestalwart1-tstat at yahoo . com ) and I have some PHP code that also uses the API https://github.com/ThermoMan/Thermostat-Tracking
TED5000 Support / Re: Firmware to support new Daylight Savings Time?
« Last post by Guest on June 25, 2022, 11:27:56 PM »
No new firmware is forthcoming, TED5000 is abandonware.

Perhaps if we asked nicely they'd share the keys and let us write our own firmware?
TED5000 Support / Re: Gateway History Corrupted
« Last post by Guest on June 25, 2022, 11:26:35 PM »
-- p.s. anyone have a thought on why the verification steps needed to post will only accept 2020 as the current year?

Because that was the last time an admin looked at the forum.
TED5000 Support / Re: Linux install fails on Ubuntu 17.04 64bit.
« Last post by Guest on March 24, 2022, 08:15:52 PM »
I know it's been 5 years.  Hopefully someone has the answer.  Yes, I'm getting this error message on Ubuntu 20.04.  I can't find any settings like the ones described in that OS.

If this was resolved, what was the incantation?  It would be nice to know if it wasn't resolved.

(tried to call the support? number but got it sounded like someone picked up and immediately hung up.)
TED5000 Support / Re: TED5000 API still available for download?
« Last post by Guest on October 05, 2021, 02:42:50 AM »
I emailed what I had.

mostly posting to see if I get labeled Guest too

edit: I did.  but I see that if I edit, it shows my name as editor!
« Last post by Guest on October 01, 2021, 09:36:20 AM »
@drakecoldwinter
If you are going to dismantle your system, send me an email with details. I would like to buy a working MTU6000. I already have a Spyder, but will consider purchasing the lot.
birdfeedr @ verizon.net

Thanks to tlveik who has confirmed the MTU is defective, and the ECC and Spyder is working.

Also, I have a (presumed) working ECC spare. Presumed because it exhibits the same startup behavior as the one one tlveik confirmed is working. Although the spare was not tested with a working MTU.
« Last post by Guest on September 17, 2021, 07:28:32 PM »
It does seem unlikely that both ECCs would be bad.  About all you could do is pair up with someone with a working system and identify which unit is actually bad.  If you were game, you could send me your MTU and I could see if it works with my working ECC.  But that doesn't help you get your system running.

User tlveik
« Last post by Guest on September 17, 2021, 02:41:54 PM »
This forum software is not as useful as it once was. Everyone who posts is labeled as Guest. So it's more difficult to tell who is responding. However, if you are signed in, it is possible to edit your post and display who it was edited by.

That being said, birdfeedr is located in the USA, east coast specifically.

The previous poster said the ECCs are the point of failure, but I'm not sure about that in my case. Background: I ordered a Home Pro kit in November 2020, received it and inspected it. Found the ECC had a disconnected daughterboard inside rattling around loosely. Requested a replacement and it was received. August 2021 rolls around and I finally got a Round Tuit so I could begin to install in a new location (I moved in July 2020, had other issues with higher priority). Did not work, verified panel setup by putting TED5000 in service successfully. When TED6000 starts up, ECC seems to display normal LED behavior except yellow or orange (not red) closest to the back, which Support says is failure to connect with MTU. Meanwhile MTU is blinking to display info sent, but nothing from ECC. However, the ECC is connected to the network and displays Footprints as expected. I broke open the case of the first ECC and connected the daughterboard. Both ECCs display the same bootup and LED status. This is what leads me to believe the MTU is at fault.

If someone has more experience with troubleshooting in this scenario, please chime in. My thinking is 1 part connected to 2 parts, and maybe the 2 parts are both defective, or the 1 part is. Just going on the percentages.

[edited for author's label]

The flip side is, if my assumption is correct and I find a working MTU to connect with an ECC, I will have a working spare ECC to help someone else out.
Email to birdfeedr at verizon.net and make a reasonable offer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10